Apr 09

how to build fovis library under windows

So, you want to build and use Fovis library (which can estimate 3D motion of RGB-D camera or stereo pairs) under Windows?

Quick and dirty how-to compile it:

Create empty root folder for your build – for example name it fovis_win.

Install Prerequirements:
1) Download Eigen and install it.
2) Download cmake-gui and install it.
3) Download cygwin (with patch utility) and install it.
4) Download missing headers for windows from https://code.google.com/p/msinttypes/ and extract them at your root folder into msinttypes subfolder (so both include files would be located at fovis_win/msinttypes). You cannot build fovis without it.
5) For building examples (for examples only, so you can skip it) you need OpenNI install it to default path (c:\program files\openni). Also you would need freenect. You should build it at the root folder, so you will get all libraries and include under fovis_win/frenect/..
6) Download fovis and extract it at the root folder (all files would be located at fovis_win/libfovis).
7) Download archive with patch for fovis – libfovis.patch – and extract it in the folder fovis_win.

(update 02.09.2013 patch with minor fix for compilation with Visual Studio 2012 – libfovis_VS2012.patch)

Run cygwin and type:
cd path-to-fovis_win/libfovis
patch -p1<../libfovis.patch After that you can create build directory for cmake - fovis_win/libfovis/build. run cmake-gui && press configure & generate. It will create Visual Studio project files under build directory. NOTE:
Default search paths from CMakefiles:
Openni library – c:/program files/Openni.
freenect library – ../freenect/
msinttypes headers- ../msinttypes/
If CMake can’t find something using this path – you should set appropriate path via cmake-gui.

Brief patch overview:
– added export definitions for class/functions for windows target
– fixed minor issues for includes/defines for windows target
– added aligned memory operation for windows target
– tictoc.hpp – added support for windows timing routines
– examples – fixed floor->std::round, working with signal for windows target

11 comments

Skip to comment form

• Keiny on August 25, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Hi, I followed your instructions but when I try to compile libfovis, there are some C2719 error related to __declspec(align(’16’)). I’m on windows 7 x64 with visual studio 2010, how can I solve them?

• admin on August 26, 2013 at 10:01 am
        Author

Hi,

Did you get any errors when you invoke patch?
      Could you let me know full path to fovis’s folder I will reproduce it on my workstation and check it.

• Keiny on August 27, 2013 at 5:02 am

Hi,

No patch errors ( http://postimg.org/image/4dfgadfwn/ )
    the path is C:\cygwin64\home\User\fovis_win\libfovis ( http://postimg.org/image/nk3oahwm5/ )

Here the log errors with warning enabled: http://speedy.sh/Met9A/withwarning.txt
    and with warning disabled: http://speedy.sh/E2k49/withoutwarnings.txt
    to download the files click on the name of the txt, near the size of the file.

Same results putting fovis_win folder under c:\cygwin64\. Maybe it could be a problem related the version of visual studio. Do you use visual studio 2012?

Thank you for your answer.

• admin on August 27, 2013 at 11:29 pm
        Author

You was right – this issue is occured with Visual Studio 2012 (I have checked with professional version from MS subscriptions).

But it can be yeasily fixed – just add sign of reference to function’s args of type Eigen:Vector2d

refine_feature_patch.hpp
      void refineFeatureMatch(PyramidLevel* ref_level,
      PyramidLevel* target_level,
      Eigen::Vector2d &ref_uv,
      Eigen::Vector2d &init_target_uv,
      ....

refine_feature_patch.cpp
      void refineFeatureMatch(PyramidLevel* ref_level,
      PyramidLevel* target_level,
      Eigen::Vector2d &ref_uv,
      Eigen::Vector2d &init_target_uv,
      ....

stereo_frame.hpp
      void rectify(Eigen::Vector2d &xy_in, Eigen::Vector2d * out) {

I will add fix to patch.

• Keiny on August 30, 2013 at 3:54 am

Ok, perfect now it compile. Do you know if it’s possibile to try the example of openni and libfreenect, without going to change the driver every time. I tried the example of libfreenect after a bit of seconds there’s a runtime exception, it seems in libusb. Have you tried to run it?

• admin on September 1, 2013 at 9:23 am
            Author

The only way for switch drivers for device I am familiar with – is to choose manually in windows’s device manager before start of apps.
          Probably it can be done via bat-script or in directly via source code of sample but I do not need such functionality.

As I remember, when I played with fovis lib I prefer to use openni version and it works fine (compiled with VS 2010 and 2008).

I think in Monday I will get access to kinect and test freenect samples

• admin on September 2, 2013 at 4:42 pm
            Author

Yep, you right, freenect’s sample doesn’t work out of the box.

• Keiny on September 2, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Ok, never mind, I can use openni.
            Thank you very much.

1. Hi, im also getting errors when trying to cmake Fovis on msvc10

=> ive tried all the steps and the responses but the patch file doesnt seem to be recognized.

What did i do?
    I followed all the steps and put the files in exactly the same place as Keiny (according to his screenshot, its under cygwin)
    Also in my terminal window, i made exactly the same path, and use the same commands.
    However, the command patch -p1<../libfovis.patch was not found.
    I have pasted that patch file in all possible directories (from fovis_win to libfovis and several others) but still it does not find it.

Can you help me?

• Fraser on March 19, 2014 at 4:23 pm

The instructions say to put the patch file above the root directory, but this wont work with the command -p1<../libfovis.patch of course.

Either change the command to p1<../../libfovis.patch or move the patch file into the root folder

1. Thank you for comment. Fixed 🙂